AL-ZAWAHIRI, THE SECOND in command at Al-Qaida, released a new video message to Pakistani people yesterday, which shows the desperation of Al-Qaida to keep on going in its supposedly strongest region. Al-Qaida is fighting to survive and has lost its fundamental strength in the last few years. The U.S. government has killed or captured over 60% of Al-Qaida's leadership. Whether you agree or disagree with the previous administration's War on Terror, it has been successful on all fronts:
- We have done major damage to Al-Qaida’s operation and leadership destroying 60% of its command structure. Al-Qaida today is even hurting for funds. But there is honor among thieves. Al-Zawahiri appealed to the Pakistanis in his video to support the organization with much-needed funding to carry on operations.
- We have brought democracy to Iraq where today there are almost 100 different political groups practicing democracy and participating in the government system. Iraq today is the envy of its surrounding neighbors such as Iran, Syria, Egypt and many othersthanks to the U.S. and its allies.
- We have eliminated the dictator Saddam Hussein who posed a major threat to the region and our interest.
- We have protected the homeland form a major terrorist attacks since 2001.
- Our immediate military involvement in Pakistan working with the secular military and applying pressure on the government has helped choke Al-Qaida in its stronghold.
All the above successes were achieved through strong, authoritative confrontation with terror. Despite all the criticism for the way we fought the War on Terror, the results speak for themselves.
Brigitte Gabriel, the New York Times bestselling author of "They Must Be Stopped" and president of Act! for America provides in-depth analysis and commentary on Al-Zawahiri.