"All Al Gore ever wanted was to run his own General Store selling you and me carbon credits, creating habits, retooling our children with common core..."
Not by a long shot if you are a cranky unbeliever. Don't let anyone tell you that "the science is settled" and "the debate is over" and it's "beyond any reasonable doubt" when it really isn't. In fact, there are plenty of reasons to be skeptical of the steady parade of alarmist hype and low-level panic about man-made global warming. (You should always be a little skeptical of anything you hear about environmental issues on weather channel television.) There are a plethora of atmospheric scientists, and others, who aren't buying the hype. There is no way to know whether we are really cooling or warming to the degree that global climate change activists preach, because natural year-to-year variability in global temperature is so large, with warming and cooling occurring all the time. What we can say is that surface and lower atmospheric temperature have risen in the last 30 to 50 years, with most of that warming in the Northern Hemisphere. Also, the magnitude of recent warming is somewhat uncertain, due to problems in making long-term temperature measurements with thermometers without those measurements being corrupted by a variety of non-climate effects. But there is no way to know if temperatures are continuing to rise nowwe only see warming (or cooling) in the rearview mirror, when we look back in time.
- Greenpeace co-founder: No scientific evidence of man-made global warming. There is no scientific evidence that human activity is causing the planet to warm, according to Greenpeace co-founder Patrick Moore, who testified in front of a Senate committee on Tuesday [2/25/2014]. Moore argued that the current argument that the burning of fossil fuels is driving global warming over the past century lacks scientific evidence. He added that the Earth is in an unusually cold period and some warming would be a good thing.
- GE Will No Longer Design Projects to Please Climate Change Advocates. In a watershed moment and a huge victory over environmentalists, General Electric has agreed to stop projects that are designed solely for the purpose of carbon dioxide reductions to please those who lobby for climate change concessions. The National Center for Public Policy Research, a non-partisan, free-market, independent conservative think-tank which has been fighting GE for years because of GE’s liberal bias under CEO Jeffrey Immelt, scored a huge victory after receiving the commitment from General Electric.
- Fallacies about Global Warming. The first question to be answered is whether the Earth is warming at all. […] But even were warming to be demonstrated, and assuming a reasonable correlation between an increase in carbon dioxide and an increase in temperature, that does not mean that the former has driven the latter. Good evidence exists from thousands of years ago that carbon dioxide levels rose only after the temperature increased, so why should we assume that the order is somehow reversed today?
- IPCC’s Bogus Evidence for Global Warming. The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) was set up by the United Nations in 1988 and has been trying very hard to demonstrate the threat of a dangerous human influence on climate due to the emission of greenhouse gases. […] It is interesting that IPCC “evidence” was based on peer-reviewed publications — but (reluctantly) abandoned only after protracted critiques from outside scientists. E-mails among members of the IPCC team, revealed in the 2009 ‘Climategate’ leak, describe their strenuous efforts to silence such critiques, often using unethical methods.
- IPCC’s Bogus Evidence for Global Warming. I will show here that the first three IPCC assessment reports contain erroneous scientific arguments, which have never been retracted or formally corrected, but at least have now been abandoned by the IPCC — while the last two reports, AR4 and AR5, use an argument that seems to be circular and does not support their conclusion.
- “Stadium Wave” Phenomenon Defeats Climate-changers’ Claims. The climate-changers have been scrambling lately to explain away the fact that global temperatures haven’t changed since 1998.
- Fallacies about Global Warming. It is widely alleged that the science of global warming is “settled”. This implies that all the major scientific aspects of climate change are well understood and uncontroversial, and that scientists are now just mopping up unimportant details. The allegation is profoundly untrue. […] This paper explains the eight most common fallacies that underpin public discussion of the hypothesis that dangerous global warming is caused by human greenhouse gas emissions.
- Proved: There is No Climate Crisis. Christopher Monckton, who once advised Margaret Thatcher, demonstrates via 30 equations that computer models used by the UN’s climate panel (IPCC) were pre-programmed with overstated values for the three variables whose product is “climate sensitivity” (temperature increase in response to greenhouse-gas increase), resulting in a 500-2000% overstatement of CO2’s effect on temperature in the IPCC’s latest climate assessment report, published in 2007.
- Decision-Based Evidence-Making: More Disgrace From UN Panel on Climate Change. Most science teachers undergo the unpleasant experience of catching students fudging experimental data so as to yield desired results. If the data is not easily faked, students may simply run the experiment repeatedly until the “right” data are collected. They then discard the contradictory data. Some such cheaters make it right through the education system; perhaps some become politicians, willing to direct staff to find evidence supporting decisions they have already made for political reasons. So it goes with the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which deserves to be disbanded following the release of their latest report.
- Here Comes the Sun: Global Warming and the Perversion of Science. In denial, warmists continue to hawk recently discredited tenets: mankind’s (read: America’s) profligate use
of fossil fuels pumps enormous quantities of CO2 into the atmosphere; naturally, Earth’s temperature rises, exacerbating the so-called “greenhouse effect”; in time, our planet becomes a most inhospitable place. “Settled science.” Until it wasn’t. These postulates were meant to frighten the naive and misinformed into supporting a radical correction that would (surprise!) hit the U.S. hardest. Now that the warmists’ case has come undone, we can see it for what it is a perversion of science and the scientific method.
- The climate alarmists have lost the debate: it’s time we stopped indulging their poisonous fantasy. IPCC lead author Dr Richard Lindzen has accused [the IPCC] of having “sunk to a level of hilarious incoherence.” Nigel Lawson has called it “not science but mumbo jumbo”. The Global Warming Policy Foundation’s Dr David Whitehouse has described the IPCC’s panel as “evasive and inaccurate” in the way it tried dodge the key issue of the 15-year (at least) pause in global warming; Donna Laframboise notes that is either riddled with errors or horribly politically manipulated, or both; […]
- New Climate Study Blows Away Anthropogenic Causation. Ahead of the soon to be released UN IPCC report, much of which has been leaked and destroyed already, and of which Nature stated that were “out of date by the time they hit the street”, a new peer-reviewed report has been released that thrashes the Warmists and their Blamestorming of Mankind for releasing GHGs. The report is strong enough that Warmists immediately trotted out their “anti-science” meme without reading it.
- New Report Undercuts Global Warming Alarmists. Events have failed to fulfill the prophecy. Preachers have suddenly been struck dumb by uncertainty. Believers are understandably nervous and some, under their breath, are abandoning the dogma. But the subject here is not Millerism, but another kind of religious faith: the faith of the global warming alarmists. And while it’s not likely to have the impact of the Millerites’ Great Disappointment, we could be seeing the beginning of something similar on September 27, when the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change issues its fifth assessment report in Stockholm.
- Warming Up for Another Climate-Change Report. When the IPCC issues a report, it assures the world that the organization bases its conclusions on reputable, peer-reviewed scientific literature, and that its members are comprised of the world’s top experts and best scientists. Yet when IPCC personnel answered a 2010 questionnaire sponsored by the InterAcademy Council (a network of national science academies), there were repeated complaints about unqualified individual members. For example, one individual (the responses to the questionnaire were anonymized) said there are “far too many politically correct appointments” involving people with “insufficient scientific competence to do anything useful.”
- 95 per cent of intelligent people know the new IPCC report is utter drivel. The irony is, of course, that the third, fourth and fifth assessment reports were all produced in a period of rising CO2 levels in which there has been no “global warming” whatsoever. You’d imagine that, had the scientific method been more highly valued by the IPCC, this rather glaring flaw in AGW theory might have been afforded more prominence. But this is not the IPCC Assessment Reports’ job. As Christopher Booker and others have often noted, the IPCC’s reports are essentially political artefacts rather than scientific ones.
- Global warming report could backfire on environmentalists. Talk about bad timing. Last month, environmental activists launched a well-funded new attack on Republican “climate change deniers” in hopes of making global warming a big issue in 2014. But as the campaign gets underway, a new report from the world’s leading climate scientists could leave environmentalists on the defensive,and the “deniers” more confident and assertive.
- A science-based rebuttal to global warming alarmism. Extensive peer-reviewed evidence is presented that climate change is natural and man-made influences are small. Fifteen years of flat temperatures show that the climate models are in error. Each year the world spends over $250 billion to try to decarbonize industries and national economies, while other serious needs are underfunded. Suppose we take a step back and “reconsider” our commitment to fighting climate change?
- Study: 114 Out Of 117 Global Warming Predictions Wrong. The Left is habitually on the wrong side of any issue. I’ve maintained that if these people were blindly flipping a coin to decide their policy positions, over the long term they’d be right half the time. Clearly they deliberately choose positions that are carefully calculated to cause harm. They been to the drawing board and they have conspired to promote a lie calculated to cause maximum harm to industrialized nations to fulfill a political agenda.
- Beating the IPCC with Their Own Numbers. Many parts of the MSM are monolithic in their endorsement of any and every scheme to ‘combat climate change’ and our pseudo-intellectual elite would make Pavlov proud as they battle to be the most vocal to decry those who “deny” the Anthropogenic Global Warming theory. But what we don’t see much of are cold hard numbers. Oh we see lots of numbers of the rubbery or nebulous variety, the plucked almost from thin air variety, but very little in the way of actual hard sensible numbers that were arrived at in an actually sensible way.
- Science Says So, Suckers! Just because climate science involves physics doesn’t mean its conclusions are as certain as gravity.
- Michael Mann Redefines Science. When I was going to school to earn my degree in chemistry, we were taught that science was indeed all about absolute truths and proofs at the end of the day. “Credible theories” is how you got to those truths, not an alternative to them.
- The UN Climate Panel’s ‘Hot Spot’ is Missing in Action. The Second Assessment Report of the Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change, the UN’s climate-science panel (IPCC-AR2, 1996), invented the Hot-Spot in the tropical atmosphere about 10km above the earth’s surface and assumed, mistakenly, it was proof of Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW). But the hotspot has never been demonstrated observationally. The Fifth IPCC Report (AR5, to be released on Sept 27, 2013) conveniently ignores this inconvenient fact.
- If you still believe in ‘climate change’ read this. No one has ever doubted that climate changes. Pretty much everyone— probably more than 97 percent, even— agrees that there is a degree of anthropogenic input, even it’s just the barely measurable contribution of beef cattle farts or the heat produced by cities. But the dangerous bit? No one has come even close to demonstrating it, there is no reliable evidence for it, and very few scientists— certainly far, far fewer than 97 percent of them—would ever stake their reputations on such a tendentious claim.
- Al Gore’s Global Warming Desperation. First, there’s the recently revealed empirical evidence that the “global warming” movement’s claim that climate change is causing increased extreme weather events isn’t true. Second, there’s a new summary of historical research which blows up the movement’s infamous core “hockey stick” chart forecasting unprecedented, accelerating warming. Finally, there’s a new report due to arrive in a month from an increasingly desperate United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
- Boxer’s Own Experts Contradict Obama on Climate Change. During the July 18 Senate Environment and Public Works hearings, Sen. David Vitter asked a panel of experts, including experts selected by California Democrat Boxer, “Can any witnesses say they agree with Obama’s statement that warming has accelerated during the past 10 years?” For several seconds, nobody said a word. After the period of deafening silence, Weather Channel meteorologist and global warming activist Heidi Cullen attempted to change the subject, saying our focus should be on longer time periods rather than the 10-year period mentioned by Obama. When pressed, however, she contradicted Obama’s central assertion and said warming has slowed, not accelerated.
- Global Warming Alarmism Memorably Debunked. Author Joe Fone of Christchurch, New Zealand has spent many years researching current and historical data on climate change, with the help of the finest scientists down under. His new book, Climate Change: Natural or Manmade? gives a clear, unbiased view of what is reasonably true and what is clearly incorrect. The book shows his strong intellect and unrestricted effort to find the truth wherever it lay. […] Fone accurately calls global warming today’s cause célèbre, “promoted by an army of enthusiasts from scientists and politicians to environmentalists, celebrities and now even theologians, all of whom declare it to be the most pressing issue facing us since the last such scare — the 1970s ice age panic promoted by a similar army.”
- Our Climate-Change Cathedral. To [Rupert] Darwall, “the science [of global warming] is weak, but the idea is strong.” He duly discusses some of the scientific controversies that have arisen, but the underlying objection to today’s scientific consensus on AGW set out in his book is more fundamental. […] But even thoseconvinced of the reality of AGW and the danger it could pose should find Darwall’s book a fascinating, if uncomfortable, history of climate change as a political and intellectual phenomenon.
- Senator Barbara Boxer’s Own Experts Contradict Obama On Global Warming. Speaking at a Democratic fundraiser less than a month before directing the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to impose costly new restrictions on carbon dioxide emissions, Obama said, “we also know that the climate is warming faster than anybody anticipated five or 10 years ago. “I don’t have much patience for people who deny climate change,” Obama added. However, climate scientists including United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) lead author Hans von Storch report temperatures have remained essentially flat for the past 10 years, and indeed for the past 15 years.
- Critical Thinking about Climate Change. As a life-long atmospheric and environmental scientist and long-time college-science educator, I am constantly bombarded with material from a variety of sources, including many environmental groups. Take, for instance, what can be labeled “sales” literature that I recently received from the Environmental Defense Fund.
- A dangerously deluded energy policy. Without question, it must have been one of the dottiest public utterances ever delivered by a British Cabinet minister. This was the extraordinary speech made on Monday at an event staged by the Met Office; by Ed Davey, our Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change. What inevitably attracted attention was Mr. Davey’s attack on those ‘sections of the Press’ who dare question any aspect of the way his energy policy for Britain has become wholly skewed and dominated by the belief that the world is in the grip of global warming. The timing of his outburst against ‘destructive and loudly clamouring scepticism’ in the Press was not accidental: it was to preface yesterday’s Commons debate on the mammoth Energy Bill by which he plans to ‘decarbonise’ our electricity industry.
- Mr. Moniz is exactly the sort of person who should read this web page: New Energy Secretary on Climate Change: ‘I’m Not Here to Debate What’s Not Debatable’. Ernest Moniz, the nation’s new Energy Secretary, said climate change is “not debatable” in one of his first speeches on the job. “I’m not here to debate what’s not debatable,” Moniz said at the White House Leadership Summit on Women, Climate and Energy on May 23. “The threat from climate change is real and urgent.”
- Climate Change: we really don’t need to waste all this money . There’s so much rubbish out there on the internet produced by lavishly funded Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth and WWF activists, junk scientists, rent-seeking corporatists and EU- and UN-funded environmental bodies. Time we hit back with the thing these eco-loons hate most: cold hard facts.
- Who are the real climate deniers? We know, via proxies like ice core samples, fossil remains, marine specimens, temperature-dependent remanence measurements, as well as historical documents, etc., that there were periods in history when the earth was significantly warmer than it is today, though human beings were not pumping CO2 into the atmosphere — CO2 levels during the Ordovician Age 440 million years ago were ten times higher than they are at present and happened to coincide with an ice age; closer to home, during the Medieval Warm Period the Scandinavians farmed Greenland and in the Roman Warm Period olive groves flourished in Germany. We know that the Northwest Passage was open during the early part of the 20th century and that the Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen, as recounted in his The North West Passage, navigated the strait between 1903 and 1906.
- “A Sensitive Matter” — Flat Temperatures Flummox Climate Scientists. For its part, The Australian observed, “Debate about the reality of a two-decade pause in global warming and what it means has made its way from skeptical fringe to the mainstream.” It continued, “But the fact that global surface temperatures have not followed the expected global warming pattern is now widely accepted.” Even the Global Warming Policy Foundation acknowledges the emerging evidence. Its spokesman David Whitehouse lamented, “If we have not passed it already, we are on the threshold of global observations becoming incompatible with the consensus theory of climate change.”
- Numeracy in Climate Discussions — how long will it take to get a 6 deg. C rise in temperature? In articles like [the one] by Sarah Kent in the Wall Street Journal on April 18, 2013, we see a graph with a 6 deg. C temperature rise by 2050, if we don’t reduce “carbon intensity.” Indeed, a 6 C temperature rise may well be cause for concern. But anyone with a little background in mathematics and physics should be able to understand how ridiculous a number like 6 C is.
- The New Climate Deniers? When the liberals hang onto the neck of a cause, they don’t let go. They have ignored murders, rapes, wars, nuclear proliferation, and everything wrong with the world to focus in on their little area — the horror of carbon emissions. You’d think liberals would have learned from their earlier panic about overpopulation.
- Global Warming: Was It Just A Beautiful Dream After All? I want warmer weather here in the Big City. But I’ve grown old waiting for the promised global warming. I was 35 when predictions of a looming ice age were supplanted by warmmongering. Now I’m 68, and there’s still no sign of warmer weather. It’s enough to make one doubt the “settled science” of the government-funded doom-sayers.
- How the Hockey Stick Crumbled: A Post Mortem. But when real scientists, that is, those who apply a skeptical, scientific approach rather than a religious attitude of fervor, studied the Marcott paper, it quickly fell apart. We wrote about the Marcott fiasco here and here. It turned out that Marcott and his colleagues had created the 20th century warming spike,which was, in reality, the sole purpose of their exercise, by changing the dates on some of the samples they used as proxies.
- Eco taxes are nonsense if the earth isn’t warming. Mysteriously, anything can be produced as evidence of global warming: hot weather, cold weather, wet weather and dry. Climate change has become a religion and any diversion from the orthodox view is pounced on as evidence of heretical wickedness. Those who beg to differ about the global warming creed are held up as wicked rather than merely sceptical. But now new data from the Met Office is at odds with the doomy computer predictions from the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. The new data show that the pace of climate change has been wildly overestimated.
- Let’s lose the dodgy climate advice — and save £165,000. Last week, as Britain and much of Europe were struggling through the coldest spring in decades, Sir John Beddington marked his retirement from his £165,000-a-year post as the Government’s chief scientific adviser by touring the television and radio studios to terrify us all once more with his all-too-familiar message of how we are threatened by runaway global warming. In fact, it is far from clear why Sir John, as an expert in population biology, should be regarded as having any authority to pronounce on such matters.
- Climate train wreck. There are now two kinds of people with some understanding of climate science, sceptics and liars. The climate change scam is turning into a train wreck and everyone keeping the score knows it. The most delightful thing about the climate train wreck is that it is happening so slowly. Global temperatures have not risen for about fifteen years which is not quite as predicted. Even worse, people are losing interest as the wild-eyed threats lose their potency.
- The Engineer Behind the Climate Change Train Wreck: The individual is known in global warming skeptic circles as “Mr. FOIA” (aka. Freedom of Information Act), and he has been busy again. He just issued a password along with instructions to a select group that provides access to a new and much larger communications file: These files are ones that many of those researchers and their sponsoring organizations have worked very hard to suppress from legal FOIA requests.
- Worse is better. Energy is a case in point. I think [Christopher] Booker is absolutely right to describe the crazy quest for CO2 reduction at all costs as “arguably the greatest act of political irresponsibility in our history.” There is no logic to it. It’s insanity. And I think everybody in the country—barring the spivs in the renewables industry, the green activists and the bubble-enclosed political class—is fully aware of this. Which, really, makes it only scarier still because if so many of us know it’s wrong, how come this ugly business is able to carry on regardless?
- Global Warming is [nonsense]. Recall when Michael Mann published the first hockey stick graph-we were all shocked. Al Gore made a movie and won an Oscar. Then, actual statisticians looked at the formula and realized no matter what data you put into it, the same graph was spit out. It was junk science dressed up as a serious theory.
- In Their Own Words: Climate Alarmists Debunk Their “Science”. President Obama has put salvation from dreaded climate catastrophes on his action agenda hot list. During his inaugural address he said: “We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations.” He went on to shame anyone who disagrees with this assessment, saying, “Some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of science, but none can avoid the devastating impact of raging fires and crippling drought and powerful storms.” This sort of scary presidential prognostication isn’t new.
- No, David Attenborough: Africa hasn’t warmed by 3.5 degrees C in two decades. 3.5 degrees C in two decades? That would indeed be a remarkable temperature rise in anybody’s money. (Remember, since 1850 global mean temperatures have risen by about 0.8 degrees C — and we’re supposed to find that worrying and significant). Which is why, you might have thought, the BBC would have spotted so obvious an error and removed it before the programme went out. To his credit, this troubled Leo Hickman, too.
- Global Warming: One NASA Scientist Vs. More Than 20. The most famous NASA scientist is James Hansen, the political activist and expert on the Venusian atmosphere who sounded the man-made global warming alarm at a 1988 congressional hearing. He’s just one man, but the media and the political left have made him out to be an infallible voice on climate change. We live in a society where dissent from the left-wing narrative is not tolerated. So it’s no surprise that more than 20 retired NASA scientists and engineers are not getting the same media treatment that a single doomsayer whose quarter-of-a-century-old prediction has not come to pass.
- Lawmaker wants Obama to prove climate change. Rep. Thomas Massie challenged President Obama to roll out the proof that humans have played a hand in climate change. Mr. Massie, Kentucky Republican, said he was “disappointed” that the president in his second inaugural address blamed droughts on “human activity” and accused some of “denying the evidence of scientists.”
- Global Warming Alarmists Pick and Choose Data to Support Theory. The “think globally” people become very parochial when the global warming story isn’t as scary sounding as the local one. Climate change activists took the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) recent report showing 2012 to be the warmest on record for the continental United States, did a little geographic sleight of hand, and spun it into a Chicken Little story on global warming.
- The Met Office— defending the indefensible, as per usual. The issue is with the Met Office’s medium-range forecasts, which for years have persistently erred on the side of predicting non-existent warmth because they have been corrupted by exactly the same dodgy computer models which tell us that as CO2 rises so inexorably will “global warming.”
- 2012 probably not the hottest on record, after all. Last summer’s headlines blared, “Hottest July in the history of the United States.” Climate activists are linking this to man-made global warming, ignoring the fact that the area covered in the NCDC reports, the contiguous United States (excluding Alaska), comprises only 2 percent of the Earth’s surface. Trends that may manifest in the United States in no way indicate global phenomena. In fact, the United Kingdom’s Meteorological Office has said that there has been no global warming for 16 years and this week announced that temperatures are expected to stay relatively stable for another five years. Regardless, all NCDC temperature proclamations must be taken with a large grain of salt.
- Climate Science vs Politics: The Road Ahead. There is good news and bad news about climate. The good news is that science evidence has made it quite clear that the human contribution to a possible global warming is minor; in fact it cannot even be identified in the data record. The bad news is that the media and politicians pay no attention whatsoever to the science and are marching ahead full-speed with efforts to control CO2 emissions — thereby hurting the economy, destroying jobs, and stunting economic growth.
- Global Warming? Not a snowball’s chance. By “global warming”, I mean, of course the kind of runaway, unprecedented, catastrophic warming which George Monbiot et al have been bleating on about for the last two or three decades.
Used with permission.
Updated February 26, 2014.
©2014 by Andrew K. Dart